Welcome to YADA-YADA!

In pop culture, YADA-YADA usually means "blah, blah, blah" or "more of the same." For this blog, YADA-YADA is an acronym meaning "Young Adult Discussions About Young Adult-Designed Art." Check out my summaries and reviews of teen media. Chime in and let me know what you think!




Monday, May 10, 2010

Blog No. 45--All I Ever Wanted (CD) by Kelly Clarkson


GENRE:
CD - POP

Title:
ALL I EVER WANTED
Artist:
Kelly Clarkson

Lyricists:
Kelly Clarkson, Ryan Tedder, Claude Kelly, Max Martin, L. Gottwald, Katy Perry, Kara Dioguardi, Greg Wells, Jason Halbert, Mark Lee Townsend, Andreas Romdhane, Josef Larossi, Sam Watters, Louis Biancaniello, Dameon Aranda, Aimee Proal, Glen Ballard, Matt Thiessen, Aben Eubanks, Joakim Ahlund, Keri Noble

Label:RCA Records

Bibliographic Information:
Members: Kelly Clarkson
Released September 2009
RCA Records
Grade Range: 7 and up, Age Range: 12 and up
Running Time: 50 minutes

Annotation:
All I Ever Wanted is Kelly Clarkson’s fourth album, consisting of fourteen songs that range from funky and upbeat to honest and emotional.

Awards:
Grammy 2010
Billboard Top 100, 2010

Album Summary:
This album is Kelly Clarkson’s third, and contains the following songs:
1. My Life Would Suck Without You 3:33
2. I Do Not Hook Up 3:20
3. Cry 3:35
4. Don’t Let Me Stop You 3:20
5. All I Ever Wanted 3:59
6. Already Gone 4:42
7. If I Can’t Have You 3:39
8. Save You 4:04
9. Whyyawannabringmedown 2:43
10. Long Shot 3:37
11. Impossible 3:23
12. Ready 3:05
13. I Want You 3:32
14. If No One Will Listen 4:04

Critical Evaluation:
When the first single, “My Life Would Suck Without You”, hit the radio, it quickly became number one on the Billboard Hot 100. The album’s second and third singles, “I Do Not Hook Up” and “Already Gone” have both hit the top 100 at number twenty and number thirteen. The first two singles’ successes are most likely due to their upbeat bubble gum-pop feel and their blunt and flirty lyrics. The third single, “Already Gone”, is popular due to its heavy bass drum accentuated with its sadly honest lyrics: “You know that I love you so/I love you enough to let you go/I want you to know/It doesn’t matter where we take this road/Someone’s gotta go”. Track 7, “If I Can’t Have You”, has a very upbeat dance feel, reminiscent of the disco era. Both “Cry” and “All I Ever Wanted” have a very loud almost whiney scream to them, making them kind of uncomfortable to listen to. “Ready” and “I Want You” have a cute, flirty feel that is perfect for a drive to the beach.

Interest Age:
Both preteens and teenagers are avid listeners of Kelly Clarkson, due to her well written songs that mean something to everyone that hears them. My daughter started listening to Kelly Clarkson in sixth grade, which I think is an appropriate minimum grade level. Ages 11 and up would be most interested in Clarkson’s music, whereas younger kids wouldn’t understand the lyrics.

Biography:
Kelly Clarkson was born in April of 1982 and grew up in the small town of Burleson, Texas. In high school, Clarkson participated in school musicals and talent shows. When she was twenty, she auditioned for the first season of the incredibly popular show, American Idol. She won over Justin Guarini, and went on to record her first album, Thankful. Although it was named a double platinum album, the critics didn’t like the album, blaming the producers for not letting Clarkson be herself. Her second album, Breakaway, was released in November of 2004, and was very successful, being certified 6x platinum in the United States. Her third album, My December, was released in June of 2007, but was not as well received as Breakaway.

Curriculum Ties:
None.

Challenge Issues: None.
Why I Included this Title:
My daughter loves Kelly Clarkson, and so do her friends. She is almost 16, so she is definitely a YA!

No comments:

Post a Comment